Leaders in Commercial Truck Training
Call or Text (613) 561-4675
Kingston (613) 888-6477 • Smiths Falls (613) 888-0744 • Ottawa (613) 561-4675
The minimum requirements that you need to obtain the training and licensing for becoming a truck driver in Ontario are:
The CSA Green triangle patch indicates sole puncture protection with Grade 1 Protective toe to withstand impacts up to 125 joules. Sole puncture protection is designed to withstand a force of not less than 1200 Newtons (270 pounds). Look for this CSA Green triangle when purchasing work boots.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a Permanent Resident of Canada.
- Hold a valid Ontario G licence.
- Pass a medical examination.
- Pass a written test.
- Pass a road test.
- Complete a mandatory entry-level training course.
- PLEASE NOTE: Students and drivers are required to have Greenseal Safety Boots.
MTO Truck Driver’s Licence Info:
MTO MELT Requirements:
Official MTO Handbook:
Drive Test Practice Tests For Written Exam:
Ontario Driver's Abstract Online Ordering:
Online Criminal Record Check Ottawa:
Online Criminal Record Check Kingston:
Online Criminal Record Check Smiths Falls:
Official Air Brake Handbook:
Google Website Translation (Translate info to French and other languages):
Documents needed for your acceptance into North American Transport Driving Academy (NATDA):
- Grade 12 Diploma or GED (proof of grade 10 English).
- Completed MTO Medical Certificate.
- Current Criminal Record Check.
- Drivers Abstract (cannot be more than 30 days old).
- Copy of G Driver’s Licence.
- Proof of Permanent Residency Status.
Instructions to get Driver’s Abstract ($12):
- Go to http://bit.ly/2J0Is6p
- Click “Order now”.
- Enter your Driver’s License number in Field #1 and Field #2, click “Add to my order”.
- Fill in your information.
- Enter your credit card information.
- Print a copy and submit to NATDA.
Instructions to get Criminal Record Check ($51) (Ottawa instructions below):
- Go to https://olbc.ottawapolice.ca/ or Smiths Falls Record Check or Kingston Record Check
- Click “Create Account”.
- Click “Login” after creating the account.
Input 8-digit Registration Code
after logging in. Check your email for the registration code. Click “Complete”.
- Click “New Application”.
- Click “Level 1 Criminal Records Check (CR)”.
- Follow the instructions and complete the application, choose email option for delivery when prompted. Wait for 2 business days for email delivery.
- Pick up original copy in person from 2670 Queensview Dr, Ottawa, ON K2B 8K1 after receiving the email and then submit to NATDA.
Instructions to get MTO Medical Certificate ($90):
- Call Appletree Medical Centre – (613) 482-0118 between 8 AM and 8 PM, Monday to Friday and 10 AM to 6 PM, Saturday and Sunday.
- Wait on the line for the representative to book an appointment, do not dial 0.
- Bring this MTO Medical Exam coupon with you to receive the $90 student rate.
$90 MTO Medical Exam Coupon
- Arrive 15 minutes before the appointment and bring the health card and the medical form in English only.
MTO Medical Report Form
- The medical exam lasts 30 minutes and consists of questions asked regarding overall health and involves a vision test, no blood test or physical examination etc.
- Submit the copy of the completed medical form to NATDA. Keep the original copy to provide to MTO upon the written exam day.